College Contribution in Child Support
Barrington personal injury attorney, Barrington divorce lawyer


Personalized Legal Services in
Barrington and Schaumburg, Illinois

Facebook Twitter YouTube LinkedIn
Divorce &
Family Law
Real Estate
Wills, Trusts
& Probate
General Civil

Child Support And College Contribution

Illinois Lawyers Advising Divorcing Parents About Financing College Tuition

As a married couple, you have the choice of financially assisting your child with post-secondary education or allowing them to support themselves if they so choose. As a divorced parent, your child support obligations may require you to help your child through college.

At Lucas Law in Barrington, Illinois, we offer sound legal advice regarding child support and college contributions to both currently divorcing couples and those who have been divorced for quite some time. Whether you are seeking college tuition support funds from your child's other parent or you are disputing a financial request, we can explain your options within Illinois child support guidelines.

Call 847-381-8700 For Legal Advice Concerning Child Support And College Education Tuition In Algonquin

For reliable advice about your rights and obligations regarding child support and post-secondary education, contact a family law attorney at Lucas Law. We offer initial consultations at a reasonable rate.

Child Support Beyond Age 18

Generally, child support is paid only while a child is a minor. A child is no longer a minor upon his or her 18th birthday. However, the law provides that divorced parents may have a continuing financial obligation for the college education of their non-minor children.

During the divorce process it is wise for parents to address the topic of child support and college contribution. This allows the terms of the agreement to be put in place before a child reaches college age. Far too often, this topic is overlooked, making it necessary to pursue a modification of child support orders at a later date.

Determining Support Amounts

The costs associated with post-secondary education vary greatly. One year at a community college may be several hundred dollars. One year at a private school may cost thousands. To measure an obligation to pay a child's college expenses, you must consider the type of school you would have sent your child to if you had not become divorced and your ability to pay following the divorce.

If your financial circumstances were such that, if there had not been a divorce, the noncustodial parent would have paid the entire educational costs for the child, that should remain his or her obligation. If college education would have required a financial contribution by both parents, they should both maintain responsibility.

For more information concerning child support and college tuition, contact us at 847-381-8700.

Avvo Profile Lake County Bar Association Illinois State Bar Association Northwest Suburban Bar Association
Back to Top